[TN-Bird] TOS spring meeting

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone who helped, and to everyone who came.  I had a
blast!

So far, I have compiled a list of 151 species (and no, that number
didn't come from the bottle of rum I wish I had in front of me last
night.  Mr. Daniels did just fine, thank you...)

I am pretty sure there are a couple other species to be added, so
we'll send out the final soon.

Preliminary results include 33 species of warbler, including some of
the more sought-after species being seen in scopes (Swainson's,
Kentucky, Golden-winged).

Sora.  American Bittern.  All the expected hawks.  A number of
species on nest, including hummingbird, and a mallard in a tree.

I heard of many people who had life birds.  I am sure that the number
of state birds is quite high.

As far as I  know, the only negative was when one of our members and
a deer had a disagreement on who had the right of way on I-75.
Thankfully, no people were hurt and the vehicle damage seemed minor.
Can't say as much for the deer who illegally crossed the median...

One final request:  In order that we may make a report to the local
Chamber of Commerce,  we would like you to PLEASE send me an estimate
of:
miles you drove
money you spent on lodging
money you spent on food
money you spent on gas
money you spent on... anything else for the trip.
and the county you live in.

I believe that the money bird lovers spend is not recognized when
decision makers do their thing, because a) they don't know how much
we're willing to spend to see birds and 2) we don't make much use of
our collective voice.

If they see that people (gasp!) come here to see birds, perhaps those
who stand to gain monetarily will not ignore reasonable (and
scientifically valid) requests to save certain habitats.  But we need
to do our homework, the way other special interest do theirs.  And
yes, we ARE one of those dreaded special interests.  What else would
you call someone who gets up early in the morning to go hike in a
marsh?

Please send your info to me directly.  No names or addresses or
identifiers other that county of residence will go beyond me in any
way.  My address is: cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx

charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Up, Sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough"
 - Ben Frankline, Poor Richard's Almanac