[TN-Bird] TOS grants

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:39:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hello folks,

As the chair of the TOS Conservation and Research Fund Committee, I
am happy to inform you of a difficult challenge the committee now
faces.

The deadline for grant applications passed at midnight Friday.
As of now, we have 7 excellent applications in front of us.  It is
possible that one or two may slip into my US mailbox in the next 2
days,
postmarked by yesterday at the latest.

Applications include work on Peregrine Falcon, Cerulean Warbler,
Golden-winged Warbler and important monitoring of three different
areas that are important to bird life in Tennessee.  One application
is for what looks to me like an excellent education program for young
people, which we all know is important for the long-term future of
birds.

Work has been proposed for a National Park, several Wildlife
Management Areas, a military reserve and private land.

Applications came from graduate students, a naturalist, an avian
research professional and a biologist with an advance degree in
ornithology.

I would like to thank the committee, president Danny Gaddy and all
the other folks who helped collect such a strong group of candidates.
 I only wish TOS had more money to give.

And remember, anyone can donate money to this cause, either directly
to TOS for the Conservation and Research Fund, or through the
Nashville Chapter to benefit the Katherine Goodpasture Memorial
Award.

If your curiosity has been piqued, please come to the TOS fall
meeting in Greenville next week, where we will announce grantees on
Saturday afternoon.

Sincerely,
Charlie Muise
Chair, Conservation and Research Fund Committee,
Tennessee Ornithological Society

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson