[TN-Bird] TOS Records Archives?

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:24:03 EDT

TOS Archive Questions?

I want to again focus the attention of the state's birders on a legitimate
problem concerning the official archive of bird records. Over the past year,
over 20 inquiries concerning the Records Archives from Records Committee
members and Secretaries including a public request on TN-BIRDS have gone
unanswered. I am deeply concerned about the status of the official Bird
Records Archives and want to bring this to the attention of all TOS members.

Since the last post on this subject, Chris Welsh, the Editor of the Migrant,
on his second attempt, managed to locate some TOS archives at UT Knoxville.
However, with the exception of some very old writings and documents, he could
find little or no documentation on any sightings or any records specifically
related to Records Committee votes or files. I personally attempted to follow
what I thought was an appropriate protocol by making requests for access
through the records committee, but those requests for information by the
committee about access to the archives have not been answered.

Does anyone in TOS know where these documents are at this time? If so, could
you please respond to TN-BIRDS so that everyone might be informed of the
status of these records? Do others share our concern over the status of these
records? If they are lost, misplaced, or their status is unknown, then we
need to give some attention to locating these records immediately.

When Mark Greene took over the Records Committee's Secretary duties from Don
Davidson in the 90's, he assumed all of Don's completed records had been
turned over to the Curator. At that time, Mark received only those records
still pending. When Mark's term as Secretary expired, he handed his files
over to the Curator and now present TOS President, Chuck Nicholson.
Fortunately Mark kept a copy of all the records from his term. Over the past
year, Mark has repeatedly inquired as to the status of the records and access
procedures with absolutely no response.

Kevin Calhoun, during his recent term as Secretary to the Records Committee
also wrote the Curator, attempting to locate these archives and the procedure
for accessing them. He also received no answers or even an acknowledgment of
his multiple inquiries. Upon the recent expiration of Kevin's term, he handed
his files over to Mark Green, the new short term Secretary rather than
turning them over to the Curator. We know where those files are, but what of
the many that went before?

All this seems to be spelled out in: Article 5, Sec. 7 of the TOS
Constitution

Sec.7. The Curator shall have charge of all specimens that may come into
the possession of the Society and shall be the keeper of all literature,
field records, papers and the like that may come into the possession of the
Society.

Do these valuable records reside at this time in someone's attic, garage or
basement? Should they not be in a secure location? Are these records in a
file cabinet, in boxes, under lock and key, secure from fire or theft? Are
they in any order, filed by year, by species? Who is now responsible for
their safekeeping? Should they not be accessible by those wishing to research
these documents for articles in the Migrant or other legitimate research?

Shouldn't these records be transferred to a secure location on a regular and
specified basis? Should there be a committee appointed to collect and
organize these records? Maybe these records could be copied and the copies
kept in a central location in the State; let's say at the TWRA offices of the
State Ornithologist in Nashville. If something like that could be worked out,
the records could then be accessed with little effort from anywhere in the
State and these copies would then act as a back up to the originals?

I, along with the others I have spoken with on this issue, believe that these
records are important to TOS and certainly warrant care and attention. I
would like to formally request that this issue be listed on the agenda and be
opened for discussion at the TOS Directors meeting this weekend. I also
request that this agenda item be initiated with a report from the Curator on
his knowledge of the TOS archives. Hopefully these archives can be located
and become accessible to TOS members in the near future.

Looking forward to some input on this situation,

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.