[TN-Bird] TN-BIRDS NET BACK ONLINE - SERVICE RESTORED FOLLOWING STORM

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:32:07 -0400

A TN-Bird Subscribers:
The TN-Bird Net has been offline and our listservers suffered damaged hardware
during two days of severe thunderstorms at Indianapolis, IN over the July 4th
weekend.

TN-Birds is up and running and we appear to be one of the lists that dodge the
bullet of permanent, fatal damage.

Our 409-member mailing list of subscriber addresses has been found in workable
condition.

Our archives, dating back to Feb. 2002, are now back online and have survived.

At some point during these storms, the FreeList data center lost power for
several hours. When they finally regained power, FreeList found a lot of
damaged hardware (including UPS's). It is suspected that they took a direct
lightning hit.

The main FreeLists server was out of commission and they have been scrounging
for replacements. Several other servers (name servers, file servers, etc.) are
also apparently a total loss.

Avenir Technologies, LLC and TN-Birds Net dodged the bullet.

I know that KY-Bird, VA-Bird and TN-Bird nets went down together during this
crash.

The sun is out in Northeast Tennessee today.......
TN-Birds net is alive and healthy.

Enjoy the fall migration.......

Thanks to all of you who were so helpful and for your good suggestions.

Let's go birding......

Wallace Coffey
Owner
TN-Birds