[tn-bird] Re: TN Swan Hunter (poacher) fined

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kleggett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:55:43 -0600

Some additional facts concerning the shooting of the Swan.  (Some of this
may have been in other messages.)

The shooting occurred at 7:00 am on the 13th of January on the J. W. Warren
property.  This property is directly south of Lake Lauderdale and directly
west of the river. (The property does not extend west to the railroad or
highway.  There are two other parcels in between the Warren property and the
railroad.)

David Evans, Jr.,  paid a fine of $50.00, court costs of $131.50 and $200.00
penalty to
TWRA for mistakenly killing a protected species.

On Monday January 14, I flew along with local reporter Kathy Krone and Nancy
Moore in an aerial search of the area looking for the juvenile swam. We
covered the Warren property a number of times along with the other area
around Lake Lauderdale and the bird was not visible. At Jeff Wilson's
suggestion, I asked one of the
local TWRA officers to accompany me but he declined.

The Warren property has at least one blind on it and is subleased from the
Warren family.  I have not yet learned who has this lease.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN