[TN-Bird] TN NWR - Duck River Unit

  • From: "wodu1440 tds.net" <wodu1440@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 16:49:11 -0500

TN NWR
Humphreys County

04/30/13
Had first of season 2 yellow-breasted chats and 3 yellow-billed cuckoos in
the narrow line of oak/hickory forest between the Pool 1 waterline and
private property.  Also had the purple gallinule in the exact location
described previously.  This is a life bird for me and I was able to get
several pictures. Thank you for the detailed location description.

05/01/13
Had three odd birds in Pool 10 this afternoon. One female red-breasted
merganser (she later flew across the levee to the lake side), one male
greater scaup (observed in flight and on the water) and one horned grebe in
breeding plumage.  The bobolinks were at the end of the 1/2 levee and
totaled about 30 birds.  The purple gallinule showed up again, but about 50
yards farther down the road.

I would say there is zero chance of reaching the purple gallinule beyond *
MAYBE* tomorrow and even then one would have to wade through water with
current.  One of the upper impoundments where a major flow was coming in
rose 3.25 feet in 24 hours.  Once this overtops the levee containing it,
which will probably happened tonight. The next pools in line are those
bordering Refuge Lane and thus access to the gallinule.  We even expect
access to the Duck River Office to be under water by Friday morning.

Clayton Ferrell