[TN-Bird] Super Shorebirds and Escaped Faconer's Peregrine.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:01:59 EDT

Sept. 14, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

OOPS, I did it again, I under estimated the pits for numbers and excitement.
There were more birds there today than yesterday, Lesser Yellowlegs numbers
almost tripled, Stilt Sandpipers doubled. I found 2 more species today but lost
two from yesterday but still 20 for the day and 22 for the weekend, not too
shabby. I could not find the Willet nor the Black-bellied Plover from yesterday
but did photograph an immature Red-necked Phalarope that slept all day (tired
from a long journey?) and a perfectly feathered, juvenile Baird's Sandpiper.

The day was kept very exciting for all by a Peregrine Falcon. The kicker on
that story, was that it was an escaped falconers bird which after 4 failed
attempts at the shorebirds and especially giving Black-necked Stilts a go or
two,
it had to settle for a Starling.

In between forays the bird would sit out on the flats and Least Sandpipers
would run all around it. The bird was in good feather and appeared to be
healthy, the breast quite full but the crop was not distended, so it needed the
meal.
I was able to get close enough to read the numbers and letters on the green
metal band on the left leg and I could see a few of the numbers on the large
brass band on the right leg. Just above the brass band was its leather jesses.
I'll try to locate the owner but this birds has been in the wild probably too
long to go back.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA