[TN-Bird] Re: Sunglasses for birding?

  • From: <gaddy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:48:27 -0500

Linda,

I have had valuable experience in this area.  I invested in a pair of
Varilux polarized sunglasses several years ago.  They were fine for most
things but did not do well for birding. It was a fairly expensive mistake.
Something about the loss of light causes a variation on the lens correction.
Not only could I not see the birds clearly, but I also couldn't read a bird
guide.  I consulted with my optometrist and tried a pair of bifocal
polarized sunglasses with much better results.   There are still times that
I use my regular glasses for the best view but the sunglasses do offer help
with glare and eye fatigue. I don't know if this holds true for gray
sunglasses but I think the loss of light would be a problem no matter the
color of the lens.

Danny Gaddy
Ringgold Ga