[TN-Bird] Sunday Movements - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:52:38 EDT

MS RV - Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The Mississippi River traffic was better than Saturday, even with the  Osprey
still using the area and surveying from its favorite perch. The river is  up
slightly and the numbers of Least Terns were up, we also had 6 Black Terns
where there were none on Saturday. We saw a small flock of Eastern  Kingbirds
traveling south down the river and the numbers of swallows and swifts  are
increasing.

At the Ensley pits, there were birds coming in and leaving all day with  more
leaving than coming in. A small flight of Stilt Sandpipers came in and
stayed the allotted 15 minutes and where we had only a single Solitary on
Saturday, they fell in from on high all morning. My adult Baird's Sandpiper was

missing for the first time in over a week but there were 3 Buff-breasted hiding

out in the weeds and playing hide and seek with us all morning.

There were 135 Great Egrets, 4 Snowy and 7 Little Blues (all immatures) at
TVA Lake so they are migrating south into the area also. We had Broad-winged
and  Red-shouldered Hawks migrating along with Mississippi Kites.

Now waiting for Katrina......................

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN