[TN-Bird] Stess Molt

  • From: "THCumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:10:41 -0500

On January 28, 2003... A rather odd-looking  Carolina Wren was feeding in my
yard... it looked just like an immature wren.  The reason?  It lacked that long
cocky tail.  In fact it had NO tail at all.

I have continued to observe the wren almost daily.  At first there was one tiny
central tail feather showing.. mostly black and white and curly.. then after
many days it was obvious the whole of the tail feathers was slightly showing
and  growing back.. but very short.  Now today the tail is about half length.
Of course, I have wondered how easily the wren could maneuver its flight
without the tail... and would it be disabled and more easily succumb to
predators.

Andy Jones indicated this tail feather lost was possibly caused by a predator
grabbing at the bird.. and the tail is lost.. called "stress molt".

I have two Carolinas in my yard and it has been very easy recently to tell them
apart!  They both seem to be doing just fine.

Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC