[TN-Bird] Starling Invasion!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:40:39 EST

Greetings,

For the past two COLD days, I have had an invasion of starlings stripping
every hackberry tree for as far in this Charlotte Park neighborhood as I can
see.
 They also gather in unbelievably large groups on the ground with one group
totally covering an area of at least 100 feet in diameter in a neighbor's yard
and another making a circle of about 50 feet in diameter encompassing some of
my back yard and another neighbor's.  More birds just keep flying in somewhat
reminiscent of the old Alfred Hitchcock movie THE BIRDS.  A few grackles are
mixed in the bunch, but I have not been able to ferret out anything else.  It
is almost eerie when they are all flying up because the neighborhood dogs keep
giving chase.  When the dogs go back into their homes, the birds swarm back.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN  (Charlotte Pike a few blocks east of Cleece's old ferry ramp.)