[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh, Sedge Wren

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:45:29 -0000

Standifer Gap Marsh, Chattanooga
December 30, 2002

10 - 12 a.m., about 50 F, mixed sun & clouds, breeze from south, great day.

Sedge Wren (3):  One near small boat and dock by church, 2nd about 200 ft away
on west side of water and a 3rd heard another 100 feet farther west.  Excellent
views, both flying and poking around in the grass/rushes. All three "chipping"
repeatedly, the 2nd and 3rd apparently calling to each other.

Johnny Parks and I glimpsed a wren by the dock count day, December 14, but were
unable get a good view and could not rule out other wrens; much colder that day.

Virginia Rail (3): heard in separate locations.

Sora: heard 4 times, 1 note followed by one weak song and then 15 minutes later
2 notes a few seconds apart.  Same location as previously reported, just south
of the road which crosses the marsh, just beyond the 2nd oil line marker.
Someone must have waded thru the cattails recently, possibly looking for the
Sora; there is a straight trail perpendicular to the road, and the sound seemed
to come from near the trail about 50 feet out.  If anyone sees or hears the
Sora I would appreciate hearing about it.

Turkey Vultures (35) most I've seen there

Two Coopers or Sharpies chasing along the woods on the west side: courtship?

David Patterson
Chattanooga