[TN-Bird] Spring Firsts

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 13:24:11 +0000 (UTC)

March 16, 2015Obion & Crockett Counties
I made a swing through Garrett Sawmill Rd in Obion County yesterday morning
looking for returning shorebirds. Lots of wet fields but nothing but Killdeer,
lots and lots of Killdeer. Savannah Sparrows appear to have increased and
flocks of 5-20 birds were almost always  flushing from beside the road. Many
Horned Larks have now paired off with the majority of birds that I saw being
couples. I turned off of Garrett Sawmill Rd onto Elam Rd and as I got near the
west end in where the jct. with US Hwy 45W is, I saw them. Feeding among their
Killdeer cousins, the long distance travelers that I was looking for - American
Golden-Plovers! It was tough to get an accurate count as they were scattered
all over the field with hundreds of Killdeer scattered around as well. The
numerous crayfish chimneys also added to the challenge of an accurate count! I
counted 3 times, coming up with a slightly different number each time, but
there were over 100 birds present. This has been a reliable spot since I first
visited this area years ago. Returning shorebirds (and other birds as well) are
often very site faithful and as long as the habitat continues they make their
yearly stopover, just as they have done for generations. I welcomed their
return with a smile.
While viewing the plovers, I heard the distant call of Sandhill Cranes and I
looked and 8 birds were flying across, just to the north. I looked up just in
time to see an adult Bald Eagle cruising over, flying north. It likely had come
from the flooded Obion River bottoms, just to the south. The Three Rivers WMA
area looks like a large lake and there were hundreds of waterfowl present -
Snow Goose, Mallard, Gadwall, N. Shoveler, N. Pintail, Green-winged Teal,
Blue-winged Teal (my first for spring), Ringed-neck Duck, Lesser Scaup, Greater
Scaup, Redhead, Canvasback, and Ruddy Duck were also present. There were also
hundreds of American Coots feeding in the shallow water.
In the afternoon, I was driving through Alamo in Crockett County and noticed a
swallow fly across the road. I turned around and noted my first N. Rough-winged
Swallow for the year, flying under a semi-truck trailer, investigating possible
nest holes underneath.
The weather was fabulous, migrants are streaming north, get out and see what
you can find!
Good birding,
Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County