[TN-Bird] Spotting scopes -- help!

  • From: Tallentad@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:48:18 EDT

I am probably not supposed to use the TN-Bird network  for soliciting advice,
but I thought I would get the best suggestions from this  group since they
can relate to a birder's needs. My spotting scope I had been  using since 1993
is a Redfield. They are no longer in business but was  bought out by Simmons. I
had purchased this scope from Wynn's Sporting  Goods Store in Alcoa, which is
no longer in business. So, there goes the life  time warranty! My problem is
that the part on the scope body that you  attach the footplate to in order for
it to sit on a tripod came off.  The reason seems to be that the threads on
the barrel of the scope  seem to be stripped, therefore the part want stay on.
Does anyone have any  suggestions as to who might repair this locally? If not,
what spotting scope is  the favored scope? My Redfield is a 20-45x60. In
1993, I paid $325.00 plus tax  for my scope. If this one cannot be fixed, I
would
like to purchase a new one. I  would like to hear from any one what they
presently use and also where is the  best place to buy or order one. I would be
willing to pay more than I did for  the Redfield, but not sure if I want to pay
$2.000 for a scope. I would  appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Ann Tallent
Maryville, Tennessee
Blount  County