[TN-Bird] Spoonbills still present; Dyer Co

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:59:39 -0500

8/24/09
Dyer Co; immediately south of the entrance to Moss Island WMA, off of Great
River Rd
Just a quick note to let anyone who is interested know that the two young
Spoonbills are still in the exact same spot that Jeff found them yesterday. I
was there at noon today, and spent about 45 minutes enjoying the antics of
these special visitors. I am really glad Jeff, in his attention to detail as
usual, decided to double back for these birds. It's been several years since
I've seen a Spoonbill in TN, and today was by far the best looks I've had at
them in the State. I will post some additional photos later today of these, and
a few other birds on the day.

I spent about 4 hours on Island 13, with much the same as Jeff had. The adult
Black-bellied Plover is still present, though I could only find one Piping
Plover. Easily 400 shorebirds, the majority Least and Semi Sands. A few
Westerns, and though I missed the Baird's and Buffy that Jeff had, a Ruddy
Turnstone was a nice consolation. Only other larger shorebirds were a single
Greater Yellowlegs and Stilt Sandpiper. Nice to finally get out and get a
little birding in, with a gorgeous day for August in TN to boot!

There was nothing of note on Tiptonville Bar. The Ibis Hole at Phillipy was
also full of birds, though nothing out of the ordinary.

I will post some photos later tonight,

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN