[TN-Bird] Re: Speculation on Eurasian Collared-Dove in northeast TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: raincrow@xxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:48:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/2004 9:49:11 PM Central Standard Time,
raincrow@xxxxxxx writes:
This sequence of sightings may be coincidental, but it seems likely to
me that it isn't necessarily so.  The 11E corridor offers a lot of the
kind of habitat that collared-doves prefer: mostly open country
consisting of a combination of residential subdivisions and nearby
farmlands, with abundant scattered woodlots.  The road itself is mostly
four-lane and makes an easy path to follow--a long gray ribbon extending
northeast through the region.  I think of it as a "dry river."

I'm not real familiar with that area as I've only traveled it a few times to
enjoy some of the great bird finds over that way (I'm waiting Wallace) but I
would bet there is a railroad track that follows the 11E corridor. These birds
seem to follow tracks for the food found at grain elevators or the normal
spills along the tracks and such. Being more of an urban bird they are quite
comfortable around humans and enjoy the waste they provide and also readily
take to
feeders.

These birds usually spread to the northwest just as they did across Europe
and now the US and then slowly back fill along good habitat as numbers grow in
settled areas.

Check out the railroad tracks and any grain transfer areas and I'll bet that
is where you will find the birds in concentration and they bleed out from
those locations. I'm not sure about which or how much grain crops are a part of
the area economy but railroads are the way to go to find these birds, at least
in all the states I've seen them.

Just another avenue to explore.............

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN