[TN-Bird] South Knoxville bird notes

  • From: viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:15:30 -0500 (EST)

Birds feeding on or around sunflower seed feeders and suet today and yesterday
have included several male and female house finches, a chipping sparrow, a song
sparrow  and a juvenile white-throated sparrow still showing a gape among a
group of six to eight adults.

Numerous bluebirds are visiting suet and mealworms after taking a stand with
the mockingbird who attempted to guard the mealworm feeder, yesterday.  They
seem to have worked it out with no conficts today and the mockingbird is taking
his turn at the suet plate.  Groups of bluebirds have been chasing other
bluebirds, however, defending winter territory. Of course, I can't tell the
groups apart.  I am seeing primarily males, with only one female noted
yesterday.  Six bluebirds were seen in chase at one point, flying past the
patio today, and several individuals have been chased away while attempting to
feed at the hanging suet.

 I've also had a very welcomed hermit thrush hopping around the patio and
visiting the holly.  He/she stays out of the fray.

Vickie Henderson
Knox County
Knoxville, TN