[TN-Bird] South Carolina Vacation Birding

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:07:56 -0400

After a trip to Fripp Island, S.C., I am looking forward to another fall
migration season after plenty of evidence that migration is already underway.

 I had birding opportunities from Aug. 16-Aug. 19 to look for birds on a
barrier island. David Thometz and my parents also took part in some of the
birding, which was primarily done in early morning and evening hours because of
the intense heat and humidity.

 I saw a total of 80 species.

 Wading birds were well represented. I saw Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy
Egret, Tricolored Heron, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Cattle Egret, Green Heron,
Wood Stork, Glossy Ibis and White Ibis. The highlights were the three Glossy
Ibis seen on two different days as well as numerous Wood Storks. In addition, I
saw a flock of White Ibis numbering at least 70 individuals, all immature
birds.

 Shorebirds, often found on sandbars, included Black-bellied Plover, Killdeer,
Semipalmated Plover, Wilson's Plover, American Oystercatcher, Willet, Ruddy
Turnstone, Sanderling, Dunlin, Whimbrel, Marbled Godwit, Least Sandpiper,
Semipalmated Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Red Knot and
Dowitcher species. The Sanderlings and Semipalmated Plovers numbered in the
hundreds.

 Other coastal specialties included Brown Pelican, Osprey, Laughing Gull,
Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Royal Tern, Caspian Tern, Black Skimmer, Least
Tern, Common Tern, Forster's Tern and Black Tern. I saw dozens of Least Terns
mingled with Black Terns on two different offshore sandbars. I've kept records
of my trips to Fripp Island since early 1990s, and Black Tern represents a new
species for the overall total I've seen at this location. I've seen Least Terns
here in the past, but never in such high numbers.

 I also saw Clapper Rails, Fish Crows, Boat-tailed Grackles and Painted
Buntings.

 Passerine songbird migrants were not extremely abundant, except for Prairie
Warblers. Other warblers included Blackburnian Warbler, American Redstart,
Yellow-throated Warbler, Black-and-White Warbler and Pine Warbler. Other
passerine migrants included Red-eyed Vireo and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

 A tangle of Trumpet Vine yielded Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

Of course, I looked forward to returning home and looking for migrants. The
best I have managed so far, however, has been a Wood Thrush.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, Carter Co., TN