[tn-bird] Sooty search- 10/5/02

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 12:08:37 EDT

I'll let the wordsmith himself, Jeff Wilson, fill in the details, but here is
a recap of a daylong search of the Paris Landing/Big Sandy area yesterday for
the Sooty Terns.  Our group had a distant, backlit bird that very well could
have been a Sooty, but we were unable to pin it down or relocate it.  We did
have 15 Franklin's Gulls at Paris Landing, along with a Laughing Gull. I had
an adult Lesser Black-backed in the area on Friday.

The LeConte's field at Britton Ford looked good to Jeff for Sharp-tailed
Sparrows, and in short order we had 2 Sharp-tailed's and 3 Bobolinks, along
with Swamp and Song Sparrow.

We finished the day at Rocky Point (where Jeff had the Sooty Terns the
previous day), and saw a ton of birds in a feeding frenzy right before dark,
but no Sooty.  We ended the day on a high note, as just before dusk Jeff
spotted a Jaeger powering in just over the water. This distant bird was most
likely a Pomerine Jaeger. Jeff is in the area again today, hoping to pin down
the Jaeger and find no telling what else.

Good birding!!!!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.