[TN-Bird] Song Sparrow found dead in spider web, Knox Co.

  • From: Angela Hoffman <ahoffman07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 20:13:39 -0500

Earlier this evening, I was surprised and dismayed to find a deceased Song
Sparrow hanging upside down from a branch on our lilac bush. Close
inspection revealed that it has been inextricably caught in a spider web
strung between the branches. Strands of the web were wrapped so tightly
around one of the bird's feet that we had to snap the lilac branch to remove
the sparrow. As humans, we couldn¹t even break the strands, so it makes
sense that the poor bird couldn¹t remove itself either. One leg appeared to
be broken as well, possibly from the bird pulling against the web while
trying to extricate itself. At first, I thought it seemed impossible that a
bird couldn¹t cut through the strands with its beak, but a quick web search
shows that small birds being caught in spider webs is a more common
occurrence than I expected.

On a happier note, I also discovered five bluebirds roosting together in the
bluebird box just a few meters away.

Angela Hoffman
Knoxville, TN
ahoffman07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx