[TN-Bird] Some recent yard birds

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:44:39 -0500

I had an unusual visitor this morning at my home in west Knox County,
Tennessee.  I was looking at 5-6 House Finches on the sunflower feeder when I
noticed that one of the finches was actually a Pine Siskin.  I had almost
overlooked it and when the small flock left the siskin did not return with it.
I seldom see siskins here (or anywhere), so that was a bit exciting.  Even
better, the past two weeks I've had a Brown Creeper in the wild cherry tree
right next to my deck.  It walks up and down the trunk and goes to the suet
feeder hung in the tree.  I've seen a creeper in that tree once or twice every
winter but never so many sightings in so short a time.  I don't even have to go
outside to see it as it's so close to the house.  Of course the CBC was one day
I didn't manage to see it.

I have seen many fewer towhees this winter than usual.  I believe it is because
this fall I had the thicket in my back yard cut back several feet as it was
completely taking over that corner of the yard.  I still see them in there
occasionally and can hear them in the nearby woods but they don't come to the
yard nearly as often and I miss them.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville