[TN-Bird] Some firsts

  • From: "J.N. & Ella Howard" <birders3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:46:29 -0600

Birders,
     Since many of you also enjoy the butterflies, I had a mounring cloak
and a question mark near our garden plot yesterday.  Late this afternoon I
had a big surprise first for our property in Fiery Gizzard Cove - there were
9 Sandhill Cranes.  I was sitting at a spot and heard a call which much
surprised me, but I thought sounded like cranes, but the sound was over in a
dry creekbed which borders our property and I could not see it since there
was a copse of trees between me and the creekbed.  I just waited perhaps 7
or 8 minutes and then they got up and flew over quite low.  They must have
paused in trees on the other side of the creekbed or in it, but there is no
water there right now - it is the downstream flow which originates up near
Tracy City.
     Good birding to all.
J. N. Howard, Marion County