[TN-Bird] Soddy Mountain Week 2

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (BIRD TN-)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:31:48 +0000

Soddy Mountain Hawk Lookout
near Soddy Daisy, TN
Hamilton Co.

For anyone on a Hawk Watch things can always be better from the stand point of
weather, cloud cover or number of Raptors seen.  That has been the case in
triplicate at our watch during week one and week two!

Week 2 totals began on Monday 9-27 and ended on Sunday 9-23. The following are
week to date, column 1 and year to date column 2.

459  Broad-winged Hawks              Y-T-D:  611
    2  Sharp-shinned Hawks                                 3
    5  Cooper's Hawks                                          6
    4  Bald Eagles                                                 5
    3  Osprey                                                         3
    2  Northern Harriers                                       2
    1  Peregrine Falcon                                        1
    1  Unidentified Buteo                                    1

Week two's largest count day was 261 Broadwings on Monday 9-27.  Our totals are
usually between 3 and 5 thousand by this stage of the count.  In the past we
have still had some large count days during week three.  Our fingers are
crossed for better results next week!

Counter-Contributors were: Bill Haley, Jimmy and Cynthia Wilkerson, Harold
Burch, Clay Seneker, Bill Holt, Dianne and Bryan Marr, Joy Boggus, John
Kuehnel, Richard Scheirer, Lamar Eddings, Father and son Jackson from Norcross,
GA (Jackson is doing a 3rd grade paper on Hawks and came to Chattanooga for
research), Charles and Dreama Dean, John Devron, Ruth Ann Henry, and Bob
Steffey from Knoxville.  Our heart felt THANKS to everyone!!!

We have had 12 partial days coverage and a total of 66.0 hours on the lookout
so far.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson/Chattanooga, TN
Hamilton Co.