[tn-bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch Report 9/23/02

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:50:04 EDT

Sometimes we simply miss out by not being able to send a text attachment!
Bill Haley's report was much more eloquent than mine could ever be.

We just knew this day was coming! The hawk watch had experienced a week of
100% cloud cover and rain.  Up north in Pennsylvania hawks by the hundreds
had passed watches only to be detained by the same stalled weather front we
were experiencing. One day the flood gates would open, but which day?

Wow! What a day! We set some new daily high count records today!  Here are
the final totals.  Clouds varied fron 2% to 60%, but mostly 10% or below,
temperatures from 63-78F, barometric pressure from 30.06 to 30.12, wind NNE
5-15 MPH:

OS - 1
BE - 7    (New daily record, previous record 6)
SS - 3
CH - 3
BW - 1724  (New daily record, previous record 1441)
RT - 2
ML - 1  (First Merlin of the year!)

UA - 1
UE - 1

Here's an hourly breakdown on the Broadwings. We had a couple of pretty
decent hours! Keep in mind that we have gone whole BW seasons in some years
and not seen this many! Big kettle of the day was 102 at 3:49. Several
kettles of 80 or more.

   1 -  0700-0800
   0 -  0800-0900
145 -  0900-1000
641 - 1000-1100
133 - 1100-1200
 61 -  1200-1300
446 - 1300-1400
152 - 1400-1500
129 - 1500-1600
  16 - 1600-1700
-------
1724 BW

Thanks to all the folks who came up to help scan the skies today!  Counters
were Jim Rowell, Roi Shannon, Bill Haley, Susan Schott, Jimmmy Wilkerson and
Cynthia Wilkerson.

Jimmy Wilkerson for Bill Haley
Hixson / Chattanooga, Tn.