[tn-bird] "Snowy" Ross's Goose/Cove Lake

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:14:29 -0500

Finally!! I knew if I looked long enough, a Ross's would surely show up
here.

   This morning in lightly falling snow, I found an Adult Ross's  Goose
at Cove Lake State Park in Caryville/Cambell County, TN
   The bird was  associating with Canada Geese. It was very evident from
my first look that this was a Ross's. The shape of the head was my first
clue as it stretched its neck towards the sky and stared warily at me.
The head was rounder than a Snow Goose and was very white. The bill
appeared very small and there was only a faint "grin" patch. The base of
the bill was bluish.
 The silhouette was that of a Ross's.
I took a few pix with my 35 mm through the scope from  about 75 feet
away.
If you want to look for this goose just check around the open areas of
the park with the Canada Geese. He was moving around quite a bit with
people walking and dogs off leashes...
   Ol Coot just sent out  information recently mentioning Ross's are
often seen "singly" with Canadas.. Today's bird  is just another  lone
sighting to enforce that theory. Thanks for all those tips that help us
be more alert for things for watch for.

   Bird activity was very heavy at the park this morn. I saw 3
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES/ 6 species of Woodpeckers/ flocks of several
hundred Cedar Waxwings along with regular species.Many crows/ Jays/
Sparrows/ 10 Golden-Crowned Kinglets    Robins were singing in the snow!

65 -Gadwall/    9- Hooded Mergansers and 75+ Coot were continually being
harassed by that territorially insane Mute Swan. The ducks get NO rest.
He
was in the back today where the area of water created by a beaver dam is
about 150 feet across. He was swimming back and forth literally "
herding" the whole raft out into open water and then flying at them and
making them flee.
   There was also "something" calling very loudly that I could neither
identify by voice or ever find.. Was a loud , rapid, staccato  call with
a crow like quality. May have been one doing something weird, but nothing
I have ever heard. If anyone goes over there, listen for this.

Have 32 PURPLE FINCHES at the feeders now in Jacksboro and Pine Siskins
in slushy snow/ sleet as I write this. One of these is the unusual
colored "Orange "
variant ( in the throat and face area)  that I have only seen before in
House Finches

Nell Moore
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx
Caryville, TN