[TN-Bird] Snowy Egrets in East Tennessee

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:18:59 EDT

26 APR 04
Netherland Inn Road
Kingsport, TN
This morning I observed 4 Snowy Egrets hunkered in the steady rain on exposed
rocks in the South Fork of Holston River. Pulsing water levels forced the
birds to higher rocks revealing the tell tale yellow feet of this dark legged
species. This marks the first time I have seen this species in our State. Rick
Knight mentions in his book, The Birds of Northeast Tennessee (1994), that the
Snowy Egret is a rare spring and fall transient / visitor and most records are
of single birds.

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN