[TN-Bird] Snowy Egrets at Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 14:28:20 -0400

I had two Snowy Egrets at the marsh today. When viewed from the road at =
the
north end they were out in the middle just beyond the wooden fence.

Also found a Eastern Kingbird nest. It is located in a small tree just =
in
front of the wooden fence and just to the right of the no trespassing =
sign.

Other birds:

Canada Geese
Wood Ducks
Mallards
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Killdeer including 1 immature still in down
Morning Doves
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
White-eyed Vireo
Crow
Purple Martin
Barn Swallow
Mockingbird
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole

I caught a brief glimpse of what was probably a Virginia Rail but no =
luck
with the King Rail. I heard a Sora whinny once.

Last weekend I found a Orchard Oriole's nest. From the west end of the =
ditch
where the Rails have been seen, walk north along the silt barrier to the
second of the largest Bradford Pear trees. Look out over the marsh to a =
line
of small trees and bushes. The nest is in a short Locust (Black?) tree =
that
in approximately the middle of the line.

Dave Spicer
Ooltewah, TN