[TN-Bird] Snowy Egrets

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 00:57:17 +0000 (UTC)

near Walmart, East Brainerd
Green Way Dr.
Chattanooga

Today, 7/23/15, ~4:30 we saw the two immature Snowy Egrets. It seemed an odd
place but they were in the small pond/ditch on the right side of Green Way Dr
as your going toward Walmart. This is the same place where we see the Yellow-
crowned Night-Heron. As a matter of fact, the Night-Heron and the two Snowy
Egrets were in the same pond just at opposite ends.

As we first arrived, 3 possible Great Egrets flew toward then over Walmart.
They crossed I-75, flying over Brown Acres Golf Course and appeared to fly on
toward Camp Jordan in East Ridge, Tn. I then became somewhat skeptical to walk
out onto the continuation of the Brainerd Levee, aka Upper Levee, to check the
ponds from that side of Green Way Dr since we has seen the 3 white birds fly
away.
Once we got out on the(upper)levee path we saw several Wood Ducks, a Green
Heron and Red-headed Woodpeckers but no Snowy Egrets were present. If it seems
as if I have the cart before the horse with descriptions in these two
paragraphs,
let me state here that we only saw the Snowies, mentioned in the first
paragraph,
as we were about to leave. It was just a stroke of luck that they flew in as I
was about to drive away. I had already made up my mind to go visit Camp Jordan
to look for white birds.

Thanx to Tim Jeffers for posting his sightings!

Jimmy & Cynthia Wilkerson
Hixson, Hamilton Co., TN

Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
Clemson, SC