[TN-Bird] Snowy Egret and shorebirds at Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery

  • From: "Allan Trently" <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:36:56 -0400

A snowy egret was observed at the Tenn Wildlife Resource Agency's Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery, Clinton, Anderson County, TN on Aug 5, 2005. The site is just off of Highway 61 near the bridge over the Clinch River on the east side of Clinton. It is found on the Delorme TN Atlas.

I identified this bird as Juvenile/adult non-breeding because it had bright green and black legs and yellow feet, and a bill that was not completely black. The bird had yellow lores so I did not call it a little blue heron.

Very little wet mudflats exists in the fish hatchery (at least on Aug 5). I did see the following shorebirds:

1. Western Sandpiper- 6
2. Killdeer- at least 40
3. Pectoral Sandpiper- 1
4. Spotted Sandpiper- 2
5. Solitary Sandpiper- 3
6. Least Sandpiper- 2

Be sure to check the pond that is up on the hillside just past the fish hatchery gates across from the TWRA building. This pond had some water puddled near the pipe that empties into the site. The rest of the site was dry and vegetated. I saw the leasts, 2 solitaries and killdeer here.

Allan Trently
Norris, Anderson County, TN
ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)