[TN-Bird] Snow Geese at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: "Charles Murray" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:44:47 +0000 (UTC)

I counted 36 snow geese from the viewing area at the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge
at Birchwood in Meigs County about 10:45 this morning. Thirteen of them were
"blue phase" geese. They were feeding in the field west of the TWRA building. I
saw thirteen snow geese yesterday in Meigs County off Shadden Road near the
McInturff Cemetery.

There were also large numbers of sandhill cranes in the fields at HWR and in
the slough in front of the gazebo. Additionally, I saw about a dozen Northern
shovelers in the slough. Yesterday I counted 24 N. shovelers there.
Recent "yard bird" highlights at my home in Birchwood (Hamilton County) include
over three dozen pine siskins, a few purple finches, and a hermit thrush. I've
also had yellow-rumped warblers, at least two pine warblers, and at least 3
bluebirds feeding on peanut butter suet.

Charles MurrayBirchwood, TN