[TN-Bird] Smokys

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:23:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

Spent the day in the high country with 22 hormonal 7th graders from
Ohio.  Fun!  Not a lot of bird sightings, but we did see a COMMON
RAVEN at Newfound Gap.  Most interesting sight, though, were the many
AMERICAN ROBINS and COMMON GRACKLES migrating over the main crest of
the Smokies near Indian Gap.  Several hundred birds were seen.  A
couple years ago David Trently and I saw something similar, wich
included Red-winged and Rusty Blackbirds.  I didn't have optics
today, so I couldn't make out the species of most individual birds.
They were coming through in waves of anywhere from 10 to 100 birds,
with most being about 20-30 in number.  Pretty similar to what David
and I experienced.

The Hepatica is blooming pretty well at Chimneys Nature Trail, but,
strangely, not at Tremont, despite the lower elevation of Tremont
(1400 feet, vs about double that at Chimneys nature trail) and the
generally NW face of the location.   Hmmm.

Yesterday at Tremont we found Trailing Arbutus and Pusseytoes in
bloom.  Bumblebees, Eastern Fence Lizard and swarming ants were good
signs of spring.  I saw a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH at Tremont.

I may stop to do some birding in North Carolina on my way to protest
that ridiculous road through the park they keep trying to build.
Will the monster never die?!?  We really need to go see if Cerulean's
nest there this spring...

Good day!

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Up, Sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough"
 - Ben Frankline, Poor Richard's Almanac