[TN-Bird] Smokies birding - 6/6

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 16:36:07 -0400

I did some high elevation birding along Clingman's Dome Road (GSMNP) again
Thursday with Stan Wallace. We hiked about 1.5 miles into the Noland Divide
Trail (with rain in the beginning) and heard 2 Hermit Thrushes to my surprise.
Are these getting more common this far south?Clingman's Dome parking lot was
socked in with fog/mist but still saw 2 Pine Siskins here.

Noland Divide Trail (~1-4pm):  h = heard only

Hermit Thrush - 2 h
Veery - 1-2 h
Black-thr. Blue Warbler - 1 h
Black-thr. Green Warbler - 5 h
Blue-headed Vireo - 1 h
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - ~10
Winter Wren - 3 h
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 7 h
Dark-eyed Junco - ~5
American Robin - 3

Spruce-Fir Nature Trail 9 (~4:30 - 5:15pm):

Veery - 2-3
Black-thr. Blue Warbler - 1
Black-thr. Green Warbler - 1
Canada Warbler - 1 h
Northern Parula - 1 h
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1+ h
Winter Wren - 1 h
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1 h
Dark-eyed Junco

We added 1 Chestnut-sided Warbler and a Broad-winged Hawk (h) to our species
list at a pulloff between the Spruce-Fir trail and Indian Gap. There was also a
wierd song heard here that sounded to me like a truncated Indigo Bunting song
with a different beginning. Still not sure about that one. A Wild Turkey with 8
or 10 chicks following crossed the road in front of us near the Wears Valley
entrance to the park on our way out.

Shane Williams
Knoxville, TN