[TN-Bird] Slow day, sad day

  • From: "Aborn, David" <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:56:21 +0000

Hamilton County, TN

I only caught 3 birds today at Greenway Farms; 1 Magnolia Warbler, 1 Ovenbird,
and 1 thrasher. There wasn't much moving around, either.

I sent a post last night that has not appeared yet, but for those who have not
heard, Harold Sharp passed away yesterday. Many will remember his distinctive
gravelly voice, his humor and his dedication to Chattanooga birds. Forming the
Riverwalk Bird Club, he and others diligently observed the Peregrine Falcons
that bred at the Chickamauga Dam for many years. The birdwatcher sculpture at
the dam was created as a tribute to Harold's devotion to the falcons. More
recently, he enthusiastically checked and reported on the many nest boxes he
and the club placed all over the city, resulting in a big increase in breeding
Tree Swallows. As a result, the data that Harold and his crew gather are being
used as part of a nationwide Tree Swallow study, led by Cornell University. His
service will be at 2:30 pm, this Saturday at the Chattanooga Funeral Home on
Hwy 153 in Hixson. Members of the Riverwalk Bird Club have been named as
honorary pallbearers.

David Aborn
Chattanooga, TN