[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, White-faced Ibis, 4-25-13, Ensley Bottoms, Shelby Cty, Memphis

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Georges McNeil <GMs2ndHalfJourney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:39:16 -0500

Great day in the late afternoon down in Ensley Bottoms. White-faced Ibis was a
special treat.
Pictures of todays birds at http://www.pbase.com/jwalko/pits_april

TN 2 Mem,TVA PONDS to Waste Water Outfall (BUNTING CORNER), Shelby, US-TN
Apr 25, 2013 4:10 PM - 4:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments:     Quick drive around to see whats in. Was going to the Bunting
corner until I saw TVA Security sitting on the levee. Great day Clear, sunny
slight breeze 67 degs.
11 species
Canada Goose  2
Lesser Scaup  5
Killdeer  2
Mourning Dove  8
Barn Swallow  5
Carolina Wren  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  100
Red-winged Blackbird  25
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Common Grackle  25
View this checklist online at

TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex, Shelby, US-TN
Apr 25, 2013 4:25 PM - 6:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Great day for the birds at the earth Complex and the Pits. Clear,
sunny, slight breeze, 67 degs. Lots of shorebirds on the big far south eastern
pits up near the TO Fuller /Horn Lake Cutoff Levee.
24 species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  15
Canada Goose  33
Blue-winged Teal  142     These Teal were all over the place, many were back in
the brush area where all the shorebirds were feeding in the deeper pools of
water.
Northern Shoveler  34
White-faced Ibis  1     Single bird feeding in the big lagoon along with the
majority of the shorebirds.
American Coot  107     Seems like there were more as they were in three
connected ponds in the center of the complex.
Semipalmated Plover  1
Killdeer  9
Black-necked Stilt  58     Lots more than last week, several are sitting on
nests, others are pairing up and pairs are defending territory.
Solitary Sandpiper  14     Not as many as last week.
Lesser Yellowlegs  366     I stopped counting They were everywhere today very
heavy concentrations in the back SE pits.
Least Sandpiper  9
Pectoral Sandpiper  21
Stilt Sandpiper  9
Wilson's Phalarope  15     Two groups feeding alongside the Pects and
Yellowlegs.
Peregrine Falcon  1     This bad boy cleared the ponds in the center of the
complex as I drove in. but came up empty handed on three tries.
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  7
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  50
Savannah Sparrow  35     Being flushed right and left on the grassy levee's.
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Common Grackle  20
View this checklist online at