[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, Fri 2-13-15, Ensley Bottoms Environs, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:51:07 -0600

Made a run down to the bottoms to scope out what was in for the second time
this week. On weds I came down and there were quite a bit more Scaup on the TVA
lake than today since I was early lunch that day and all the birds were more or
less snoozing or bathing. Today they were bathing and taking off for Mckellar
Lake. Hopefully Sunday will be another nice day as we do our hike on a chilly
morn.

Allen Fossil (Steam) Plant ash ponds, Shelby, US-TN
Feb 13, 2015 3:30 PM - 3:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
Comments:     Clear, slight breeze low 40's and dropping. Most of the ducks are
moving out for the evening, groups of 25-150 taking off every couple minutes
flying towards Mckellar Lake.
12 species
Gadwall  7
Mallard  1
Green-winged Teal  2
Canvasback  8     Some nice Canvas backs hanging with the huge raft of Scaup.
Redhead  12     Nice to see Redheads next to Canvass backs in this huge Raft of
mostly Scaup.
Greater Scaup  200     Too many for an accurate count since birds were coming
and going. Roughly 10% of the birds were Greater vs. Lesser.
Lesser Scaup  2300
Hooded Merganser  6
Great Blue Heron  2
American Coot  8
Mourning Dove  6
European Starling  100
View this checklist online at

Ensley Bottoms, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex, Shelby, US-TN
Feb 13, 2015 3:50 PM - 4:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Complete drive around the Pits. Clear, breezy, 40's and dropping.
Lots of water in the central pits area. Best bird was a male N. Harrier that
came straight at me skimming the field top grass no time for a picture.
15 species
Greater White-fronted Goose  1     Same goose that has been down here since
early last year. Was flying low today across the center lagoons after I flushed
it. the bum wing might be getting stronger.
Mallard  43     Nice size flock flew in from the north into Pit # 5 and were
resting in the high dry grass. Several others came up from the Horn Lke cutoff,
but I didn't have time to go investigate down there today.
Green-winged Teal  46
Northern Harrier  1
Red-tailed Hawk  3
Killdeer  2
Mourning Dove  9
American Kestrel  2
Horned Lark  4
European Starling  125
Savannah Sparrow  5
White-throated Sparrow  19
White-crowned Sparrow  42     Great number of White Crowns in the usual places
around the maint shed lawn. Got some good single pictures.
Northern Cardinal  3
Eastern Meadowlark  7
View this checklist online at

Riverport Rd Ponds / Sloughs, Shelby, US-TN
Feb 13, 2015 4:50 PM - 5:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Clear, 40's and dropping, breezy Checked all the ponds and
sloughs, the cold weather has pushed a good amt of waterfowl down here in the
bottoms.
11 species
Gadwall  147     Spread out all along the sloughs.
Mallard  29     One good size flock(20) in the weed chocked area and the rest
were scattered by pairs and singles throughout the sloughs
Northern Shoveler  83
Ring-necked Duck  86
Hooded Merganser  9
Ruddy Duck  1