[TN-Bird] Sightings Report 8-23-12, River Port Rd, Memphis Shelby Cty Wood Storks & Egrets

  • From: "John J. Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks go out to Jeff Wilson who called me late yesterday and informed me of
the
massive amount of White long legged waders down at the ever decreasing
ponds/sloughes down on Riverport Rd. (Also saw his report on the ARK & MS list
serves).
Today I went down at lunch time (Noon - 1pm) and was really surprised at the
amount of white birds (Close to a thousand) gathered in the diminishing pool of
water of the normally big pond(#2). The Brim and shad don't have a chance.
First & 2nd count I had 62 Wood Storks, as I sat there longer additional storks
and Egrets flew in from the west (#3 pond) duck weed pond upping my count to
72.
I then drove to the west to the duck weed pond and observed a good number of
birds roosting up in the trees. Add another 11 Wood Storks.

Great Egrets -850+
Wood Storks - 83
Snowy Egrets - 31
Little Blue Heron (Wht) - 17
Great Blue Heron -3

Several shore birds running around but the white flock over powered my thoughts.

Jeff also told me of great numbers of shorebirds down at the treatment
plant(pits) including some Buff Breasted Sandpipers and some Phalaropes.

Jay Walko
Collierville, Tn