[TN-Bird] Sightings Report 28 Jan Tundra Swan West Memphis,Ark

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'richard preston'" <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:33:12 -0600

Below is a post I made on the Ark bird list yesterday before the storm hit
here.  Bird may still be there. Now that weather has improved for the roads
to be clear some of you other west Tn birders may want to try for it.

 Tn State Ornithologist Scott Somershoe sent out an email to several west TN
birders on Thursday afternoon about a possible Tundra Swan spotted by a
hunter friend in the West Memphis, Ark area.  Since the area was only 15 min
from the shop here in Memphis, and the weather still acceptable I went for
it. Viewing conditions not optimal, overcast, gusting winds and sunset
approaching.

Found the bird no problem, below directions were spot on.

Flooded fields holding 3-5000 waterfowl (Pintails, Mallards, N. Shovelers,
Coots and some Specklebellies) mostly in the pond like conditions of the
flooded fields, others flying in and all moving towards the northern portion
of water where drier ground was present in the field stubble.

Tundra Swan sticks out like sore thumb on the water compared to the little
gray/brown ducks all over the place. Bird was feeding when I observed
430pm-530pm. Was about 450-500 ft from safe vantage pt on rd.

Will post pictures (taken at long range and some digiscoped)this evening

at:

http://www.pbase.com/jwalko

Location:

Just west of West Memphis, AR, I-40 Exit #271/Hwy 147. Just about 100 feet
north of the exit on Hwy 147, there is an unmarked road to the right (Google
maps calls it "Bolling Ln", but I don't remember seeing a sign).

Go to Google Maps and put in a search for "Bolling Ln, Lehi, AR" and it will
bring it up.

Anyway, his road runs parallel to the interstate. Go back east on that road
about a mile and there are several flooded fields just north of the road
that are full of ducks--mostly pintails and shovelers. The last flooded
field before you come to a bridge and some buildings has a small duck blind
in it about 100 yards from the road. This is the flooded field where the
swan was yesterday and today.

John "Jay" Walko

Collierville, Tn

http://www.pbase.com/jwalko