[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, 23 March 2014, Shelby Farms Chickasaw Lake Area, Memphis, Shelby Cty, Longtail Duck

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:42:11 -0500

Shelby Farms Amph Walk/ Chickasaw Lake, Shelby, US-TN
Mar 23, 2014 4:45 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments:     I missed yesterdays scheduled hike, and when Allen Sparks sent me
a pict of a new long-tailed duck they had discovered, I went nuts, My sons
birthday was being celebrated early this afternoon. So I had to wait for the
late afternoon/early eve to hunt for it.
Found it actively feeding on Chickasaw Lake just as Allen reported. All wet
from diving so the tail was never up . Allen has the great picture showing the
long tail.
18 species
Gadwall  10
Mallard  7
Blue-winged Teal  3
Long-tailed Duck  1     Nice Male, swimming diving/feeding on Chickasaw Lake.
Reported earlier yesterday by MTOS group hike and Allen Sparks. Have pictures.
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Great Blue Heron  1
American Coot  4
Mourning Dove  3