[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, 12 May 2008, Ensley Bottoms South Teatment Plant, Memphis, Shelby Co

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'richard preston'" <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:21:50 -0500

Location:     TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex
Observation date:     5/12/08

Notes:     Great Day after a crazy weekend weather wise. Storm blew in Sat
night lots of wind , rain and temp change. Took the 4WD vehicle into the
pits and made it all around pit #5. The little clear water pond way in the
back held the most birds I've ever seen in one place so small. All were
bathing and preening and strutting there stuff. Started off at the front of
#5 and was quickly rewarded with great looks at the flock of Wilsons
Phalaropes. Worked way down to about halfway point doing a good count and
out of the west over the grassy berm came the demon of the skies, "The
Peregrine". Every bird in the soup shot off in all directions. The Falcon
just barely missed a L Yel Legs and couldn't backtrack for the kill and
circled a couple of times and took for the trees. I continued down the levee
and the birds slowly came back behind me. I got to the back return trail and
that little pond had over 300 birds in it. Still wet spots on the back trail
and still not level. Travelers without 4WD beware.

Number of species:     20

Canada Goose     18

Mallard     4

Blue-winged Teal     2