[TN-Bird] Shrikes, Lark Sparrow, Fish Crow, and More

  • From: "Chloe Walker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "chloebelle119@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 22:35:11 +0000 (UTC)

We spent the day birding from Grundy County to Coffee County and totaled quite
a list! Most were expected, but we did have a few surprises.
On Highway 41 in Grundy County we found one Loggerhead Shrike in good "shrike
habitat". Just north in a flooded farm field we found one Solitary and one
Spotted Sandpiper, a couple of male Northern Shovelers, five Blue-winged Teal,
and an American Coot.
We detoured a bit into some great grassland habitat and were surprised to see
and hear a Lark Sparrow on Sam Brashear Road in Coffee County. I was able to
take a poor but identifiable documentation photo.
At Bark Camp Barrens WMA in Coffee County, five Solitary Sandpipers and a male
Northern Harrier were the best birds.
On our way to Woods Reservoir, at 723 Old Airport Road, we found another
Loggerhead Shrike. This is the second time we have seen one here.
All three regular gulls are still at Woods Reservoir, along with a Caspian Tern
and a Common/Forster's Tern. The highlight for us here, though, was a Fish
Crow, giving its very nasal (and negative) "uh uh" call in the direction of the
Morris Ferry Dock. We eventually checked that area, but no crows were seen or
heard.
Enjoying the migration as always!
Chloe WalkerMurfreesboro, TNwww.chloesbirdingblog.blogspot.com