[TN-Bird] Short-eared owl - Cade's Cove - Yes!

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:50:05 -0500

TN-birders,

Sharon Bostick, Frank Bills, Dollyann Myers and I went out to Cade’s Cove in
Blount County yesterday afternoon to look for the Short-eared Owls that have
been reported recently. We went in the normal way and got on the one way road
going counter clockwise around the cove. When we came to Hyatt Lane, the road
was barricaded. We assume this was because of the recent rains and the creek
was flooded. Not far after Hyatt Lane, there is a largish parking area/pull off
on the left that is on higher ground. We parked here and decided that this was
the best vantage point to search for the owls. It’s a bit far to search with
just binoculars, but doable. We found about 6 Northern Harriers, with 2 of them
being pale ones. Then Frank spotted one of the owls flying around and
interacting with one of the harriers.

Eventually we saw 2 Short-eared Owls flying around the area. This was near the
south end of Hyatt lane in the area where the grass is un-mown, taller, and
brown in color. Beyond this area the grass is much shorter and greener and then
you come to the other return side of the loop road. We had our scope and found
it useful. We first spotted the owls about 4:30 pm, but the sky was overcast.
On a clear day the owls might not come out until a bit later.

As is usual with birding, it was awesome!

Great birding and happy holidays,

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN