[TN-Bird] Short-eared Owls in Bledsoe County

  • From: BrdMann@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:20:18 EST

Kathy, Madeline Kate (our 23 month old granddaughter) and I visited the  Nine
Mile Crossroad location this evening amid a howling snowstorm. When we
arrived at 4:07 PM CST one Short-eared was flying around the pond, over the
road
and over the field south of the road. We stopped in the road and the owl
perched  on a metal fence post within 200 feet of the Jeep for a minute or two.
We
then spotted two other Short-eared's perched in the large tree behind and to
the  west of the pond. The single bird flew off and perched briefly in the
large tree  with the two other birds and then flew to the treeline that forms
the
western boundary of the field. We left there at 4:15 PM CST to look around
the  area for anything else of interest. Came back through from 4:43 - 4:55 PM
CST  and there were still two S-e Owls in the large tree and the third one  was
being harassed by a N. Harrier in the field just west of the first residence
west of the pond. We last saw it leave that field, fly south over the road
and  over the large field south of the road.
What amazing birds and what an awesome view of the one on the fence. I
assume they were active earlier today due to the cold (28 degrees F) and the
snow.
On the way to the Owl location we dropped by the Cookie Jar Cafe near  Dunlap
(Sequatchie County) and had one hundred plus Brewer's Blackbirds in the
trees between the dairy and the restaurant. On the way back from the Owls we
had
a covey of 10 Northern Bobwhite fly across East Valley Road north  of Swafford
Pond.

Daniel R. Jacobson
Hixson (Hamilton County), TN