[TN-Bird] Short Eared Owls Cade's Cove Update

  • From: moorephotography@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:58:04 +0000 (UTC)

Cade's Cove- Great Smoky Mts National Park
Friday 12-27 3:00 pm until dusk
The Short Eared Owls reported several days ago in Cade's Cove put on a
marvelous, very memorable show yesterday afternoon along Hyatt Lane in Cade's
Cove!
There are DEFINITELY 3 owls that were clearly noted at the same time in
different locations. One in a tree- 1 across the field and another on opposite
side of the road at the same time.
Constant harassing and chasing of Male and Female Northern Harriers was noted
several times. Really cool. Am wondering if there may possibly be more than 3
with all the great habitat this year.
For those of you wanting to see them, just go to Hyatt Lane in the Cove and
watch the surrounding fields. A great place to watch both sides of the road is
about half way through the road on a slightly higher hill where you can pull
off and park enabling you to see both sides of the road and fields from a
higher perspective.
Was surprised that they were out hunting at 3:00 in the afternoon as soon as I
pulled in to do a little "Sparrow hunting" first. Glad I did not wait until
dusk as was able to have wonderful views in the scope as well as some
identifiable photos for a couple hours.
Also, I heard a "rumor" that they are going to do prescribed burnings on these
fields in Jan! They have cut/bush hogged around the perimeter, so this could be
true? Hope not. Maybe some of the TN birders that are park volunteers could ask
the park service to hold off until later towards the Spring IF this is true.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN