[TN-Bird] Shorebirds, northwest Maury County

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:57:08 -0500

I finally seem to have found a local shorebird hotspot.  I checked
the Bussletown unit of TNWR this morning, finding not one single
shorebird, not even a Killdeer.  This afternoon, on the way to
Columbia, I detoured through the phosphate mining areas along
Monsanto Road north of Highway 50 and west of the bypass.  These area
all owned, operated, fenced off, and posted by Solutia, old viewing
areas are closed, but there are two spots where ponds could be seen
through the fences and kudzu.  Some Great Egrets, Cormorants, a Great
Blue, but no shorebirds.  Finally, wandering along Roberts Bend Road
I hit the jackpot in the form of a muddy farm pond populated by hogs
and hoards of Canada Geese.  The shore was lined with dozens of
Killdeer, amongst which were mixed in Pectorals, a few Solitaries and
peeps, and a single yellowlegs.  To my surprise, the peeps proved to
be Westerns and the yellowlegs was a Greater.

Now I have a regular diversion to take on my Columbia shopping runs.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN
http://bbill.blogspot.com