[TN-Bird] Shorebirds, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:45:40 -0400

April 3, 2005

Twelve members of Greeneville TOS spent the afternoon today birding
familiar spots in western Greene County, along with a few backroad areas
that are seldom visited.  The group found a number of notable birds,
highlights of which are listed below.  (Numbers of individuals listed
reflect totals from my personal notes, which no doubt represent
undercounting in some cases as other members of our group saw some birds
that I didn't.  Included also are a few birds that I observed before and
after the group trip.  These species were observed in and near
Greeneville.)  Chapter members who attended the event were: King Gaut,
Margaret Gaut, Henrietta Holt, Jim Holt, Ron Lapp, Rose Lapp, Alice
Loftin, Don Miller, Linda Northrop, Ruth Rinker, Jo Anne Routledge,
Larry Routledge.

Probably the most significant find of the afternoon's trip was a Great
Blue Heron rookery discovered along the Nolichuckey River on Pate's Hill
Road at its intersection with Bledsoe Hollow Lane.  At least six nests
were found, with a heron standing atop one nest.  Two Double-crested
Cormorants were also seen perched in the rookery.

Here's the list:

Double-crested Cormorant (2 on Pate's Hill Road);
Great Blue Heron (3);
Canada Goose (6);
Mallard (9);
Gadwall (7);
Blue-winged Teal (19);
Wood Duck (13);
Turkey Vulture (13);
Black Vulture (5);
Osprey (2--1 on Jim Kirk Road, 1 on Sapp Road; the bird on Jim Kirk Road
appeared to be carrying a mammal, a rabbit perhaps);
Northern Harrier;
Cooper's Hawk;
Merlin (on Sapp Road; seen only by Jim Holt and Don Miller);
American Kestrel (7);
Red-tailed Hawk (6);
Wild Turkey (observed at roost near Tusculum);
American Coot (7);
Killdeer (8);
Greater Yellowlegs (3 on Bridge Burners Boulevard);
Lesser Yellowlegs (on Bridge Burners Boulevard);
Pectoral Sandpiper (19 on Bridge Burners Boulevard);
Wilson's Snipe (8 on Gravel Woods Road);
Ring-billed Gull (on Bridge Burners Boulevard);
Eastern Phoebe (2);
Purple Martin (8);
Tree Swallow (17);
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (2);
Barn Swallow (8);
White-breasted Nuthatch;
Brown Thrasher (2--1 in Greeneville, 1 near Tusculum);
American Pipit (68 on Jim Kirk Road);
Savannah Sparrow (2);
Chipping Sparrow (2);
Swamp Sparrow (4, including one singing male).

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN