[TN-Bird] Shorebirds etc.

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:11:44 -0500

While birding my way home after shopping in Dyersburg I went up 78 to 103 in
Dyer Co and stopped at the wet area on the left near the Great River Road and
found several species of shore birds, including Lessor yellowlegs (6) , Greater
(10, Pectoral S.P.(3). Semipalmated Plovers (4).Solitary S. p. (1) 8 Bluewing
Teal and an exciting moment with a Peregrine Falcom. I heard the alarm go off
from the  YEllowlegs and looked over as they all took off and the Peregrine
Falcom swooped down low to the ground almost snatching one of the Yellowlegs.
And then there were no shorebirds. The Peregrine just kept going. I left and
drove on up the Great River road to the Intersection of the Great River Road
and 79 where there is water on the right and there was nothing!
I turned left onto 79 and in the pool on the right found a few yellowlegs,
Pectoral S.P. (3), 4 Solitary S.P. and 4 Lessor Yellowlegs. Drove down 79 for
naught.  Dump trucks came through and hopefully were putting rock down on the
far end of 79.  Checked the river at Tiptonville Ferry Park area. . Its still
high, no sandbars yet.  Relaxing day, now back to the grind of the B&B.
Nancy Moore
Bluebasin Cove B&B
Reelfoot lake
Lake Co, Tn