[TN-Bird] Shorebirds and Kites

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 15:39:58 EDT

July 9, 2005
Ensley Bottoms,
Mississippi River,
Eagle Lake
Shelby Co. TN

The shorebirds at the pits in Ensley were in a thither as Kites and  Kestrels
spun overhead. I had only 83 Least Sandpipers, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, no
Western or Semipalmated but the Solitary Sandpipers are up to 3 as were the
Lesser
Yellowlegs. In a couple of weeks there should be thousands to google
through. There were 6 Least Sandpipers strolling the sandbar at the River which
 is
now down and looks like it will behave for some time to come.

You can hear a pump running at Eagle Lake (as usual the gates are locked)
but unfortunately no prep has been done for shorebird habitat in the pool
nearest the platform and from there it does not look like much done anywhere
else.
The mud puddle blocking the entrance to the platform luckily is just  dust
but if it rains it may be the only shorebird habitat there.

If you like Mississippi Kites this is a great place to watch their slow
dance. I had 35 here with some performing just above my head. In the Ensley
Area
I counted 3 wide spread groups totaling 86 birds with 34 over one place at
Riverport Road. Coming across town I counted 11 over different residential
areas. Many were 1st and 2nd year birds, some in real ratty looking plumage but

still air worthy.

Now off to points north to look at more dusty habitat........

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN