[TN-Bird] Shorebird Spread

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:04:22 EDT

July 24, 2004
Ensley Pits
Shelby Co. TN

The rain last night spread water over all the flats and the shorebirds filled
the spaces available. There were 13 species seen and in those numbers there
could have been a hidden goody for sure. Something kept them in a turmoil but I
never determined what and gave up any attempt to count. Probably in excess of
3,000 birds there this morning with lots of them moving around.

There was a glut of Spotted Sandpipers and I had 7 in one field of view and
probably had a dozen more spread around. A single hendersoni, SB Dowitcher was
seen but there were a lot of Stilt Sandpipers in various plumages. Western and
Semipalmated numbers were way up along with Pectoral. There were birds in
every hole.

I'll try again tomorrow after I get back from Lauderdale and points north.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN