[TN-Bird] Shorebird Passage - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 07:56:42 -0400 (EDT)

July 29-30-31, 2011
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Sorry for the wrong dates on yesterday's  postings.

The best way to bird the "Pits" these days is to go ahead and  pour a
bucket of water on yourself, get soaked and have at it. Had to pour water  out
of
my shoes twice yesterday;o)

Each day brings new things to the table. Black-necked Stilts  are still
hatching young, you can not put your glasses up in any direction,  with out
seeing adults and broods of various ages from flying families to  wobbling fuzz
balls. Killdeer are also tending their late newly  hatched.

Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers are the big number tickets  with Pectoral
and Solitary holding second place but in much lower numbers.  Then come
Western and Spotted plus sporadic movements of small numbers the last  few days
of 2 Short-billed Dowitchers, Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated  Plovers, and
Stilt Sandpipers. Counting has been difficult as the  Mississippi Kites and
a single immature Red-tailed Hawk kept stirring the  mix.

Yesterday, a mini-fall out, which really turned into just a  passage of
migrating Wind Birds, added a molting SANDERLING and a  very trusting (head
shots) UPLAND SANDPIPER to the list. With the  Mississippi River still high,
over 13 feet, we should get a few more early  Sanderlings at the "pits" plus a
few more unusual birds looking for a place to  rest until the sandbars are
exposed.

Right on schedule from 9:30 until 11, groups of up to 20  birds would fall
in, preen sleep and depart, with one flight of 9 Lesser  Yellowlegs taking
the remaining Stilt Sandpipers with them when they left  calling, inviting
all to follow. At one time Saturday, there was a single  Greater Yellowlegs
and 9 Stilt Sandpipers all in pretty nice  plumages but by noon Sunday they
had all headed south with the  movement!

Fifteen species of Wind Birds and counting; of course a  little RAIN would
help!!

The last time I saw the young Black-bellied Whistlers Sunday  afternoon,
the triplets were fine but the new brood was down to 17, I  expect when
everything in the area fledges we will be covered with

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_  http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this feathered  thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.