[TN-Bird] Shorebird Bonanza / Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gcasey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:39:00 EDT

August 15, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I could not get away to the pits over the last couple of days of slightly
unsettled weather but I did pull of the drawing board early this morning for an
hours run-about at the pits.

There are more shorebirds down there now than last weekend!! No kidding it
looks like a small version of the Little Creek flats in Delaware on a great day.

The Pectoral Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs have come in big time with
Semipalmated and Least SP still holding in large numbers. I saw my first
juvenal
plumaged Western Sandpiper for the season plus Long-billed and Short-billed
Dowitchers with my first immature Short-billed. I did not have time to scope
the
little stuff but with all the "stints" seen recently up north and the Curlew
SP in Arkansas, anything can be hiding in the throng. The first Red-necked
Stint down at the pits was on August 7th, so the time is right for a surprise
bird. Even if one does not show there are enough species in various plumage's
dazzle anyone.

If you are coming down, don't forget a chair or stool because you can sit at
any number of spots and look for hours and not see every bird in front of you.
They have cut a lot of grass from most of the viewing areas and levees to
make viewing easier.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA